Saturday, February 20, 2010

Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg



Once again, Elizabeth Berg has created a sensory experience that you immediately want to step into. Her protagonists are women who only develop their sense of self, resilience, and independence when they're forced to. You start to think, "I'm artistic, intuitive, and creative, too." The Year of Pleasures made you think of Anthropologie; Home Safe actually takes you there.



Helen discovers she has a gift for teaching writing. She overcomes mean stabs from the publishing world. She tries to anchor herself to her daughter who in turn feels smothered. She has begun the process of pecking her way out of the egg.





Her husband has left her her dream house in Mill Valley, California! She sees it, but questions where her home is really, in her new autonomous life. It seems the blue jay pecks away without disturbing a pretty strong egg.

11 comments:

  1. I loved this book, Margaret. I have all of Ms. Berg's books. My favorite is the first one I read, "The Pull of the Moon". It really hit home with me. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elizabeth Berg's books, too, though I haven't read this one yet. Now that you've sparked my interest, I look forward to reading it.
    Hugs,
    xo
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Margaret, I have a new author to try! From your description I saw a bit of myself in there. Love Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I need to get this book...Thanks Magaret!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe I lefted the r out of Margaret.
    Sorry Margaret!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came here via KJ's blog when I saw the thumbnail of the book cover. I just started this book last night! I've read nearly everything by her and I even have a writing book by her. But like Marion, my favorite was "The Pull Of The Moon." Powerful!

    I like how you included pics with the synopsis!
    (Thanks for not telling too much.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I often relate to the stories or characters in books, and it's very reassuring! The theme of this book kind of feels like my life right now. I'm in the midst of pecking my way out my shell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had the chance to read this book. Please tell me your e-mail address Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You make it sound like great reading indeed. Loved the photos too Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  10. the writer i unknown over here, I think.

    I do love your photos, the collage is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to let you know that I just finished reading Home Safe. I loved it! So true about life.

    ReplyDelete