Monday, June 6, 2011

Magpie Tales 68



A silk indigo sari drapes around her body
And head, revealing just the upper face.
She lies down in an oasis of fragrant jasmine, lotus, marigold.
Lightning bolts of Shiva beam on her third eye
In the center of her brow surrounded by a triangle,
The sanskrit Om also lying within the triangle.
A nectar of sesame with essences of sunflower,
Ginseng, skullcap streams onto the lucid third eye.
The otherworldly timbre of the Shiva flute
Conquers the music of fools.



Magpie Tales is the vision of Tess Kincaid. If you would like to participate, just post your poem or vignette--based on Tess Kincaid's photo prompt--on your blog and link back to http://www.magpietales.blogspot.com.

25 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I love this, Margaret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have thought of the third eye.
    It is amazing to read the many interpretations of these prompts.

    Very imaginative and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope my third eye is a trifle less gruesome than this one! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third eye...great take. Liked the images in this one. Vb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now want to look up the Shiva flute/philosophy. Your poem pointed out to me that to fully appreciate your words I must do that. Your images are mesmerizing.

    Thanks for your comments on knotinline, I look forward to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A rich colorful poem I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Choices! It looks pretty real, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks,Friko! I know! It's amazing how many different takes there are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got it, Lynne! Don't you just love Ayurveda?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jinsky! and not quite so protruding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Tumblewords! I see we both went with the third eye!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Ann! It is a Hindi belief that Lord Shiva loved raga wooden flute music. Raga has a different scale from the western one and thus is able to make that Middle Eastern sound. Since it was soothing to Shiva, it follows that it could soothe our mind's foolish chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, mindlovemisery! You didn't post re this magpie? I loved Trigger with that formidable video.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At last I have managed to get to your page and thank goodness I did. The weaving in of the Hinduism and the description of the different aromas of flowers made this write absolutely magical.

    ReplyDelete